content

Rappelz Forums

What Pet are You?

[Guide] Shadow Hunter

Read game guides created by your fellow Rappelz players.

[Guide] Shadow Hunter

Postby cadopewpew » April 20th, 2010, 9:29 am

Shadow Hunter
So i decided to write a Shadow Hunter guide due to general boredom and this thread. I have been successfully slinging bolts since Epic 3 and I must say the job has really come into its own but is still quite overlooked by the community (which is great for my card fund! =D). I first took up the almighty crossbow after becoming bored with the dual wielding Strider late Epic 3 and after vomiting arrows @ over 300 attack speed, i was hopelessly hooked. I am currently a 122 SH and have had 3 SH alts leveled to r3-4 and have NEVER been in a party with another of my breed; most days I'm the only SH looking for a party in any level range.
The humble Shadow Hunter is a Puller/DD class and it hangs with the best of them. Although we lack the disabling power and extreme range of our cousins, the Archer, we replace it with ridiculous mobility and attack speed, easily reaching over 300 movement speed and over 200 attack speed.

Equipment
You really don't have much of a choice when it comes to gear. You are going to want a crossbow (obviously), a dagger for Head Breaker, and hunter armor. For jewelry I suggest a set of Dex or Luck rings if you are stacking Crit%, Vit rings for sticky situations, Patk/crit% earrings, and Movement Speed earrings/rings. Always shoot for the HQ jewelry there's really no excuse its all fairly cheap.
All this new ethereal gear opens up a lot of options though I generally don't want to deal with it since I already pimped my R6 stuff before it came out and the recharging is a pain. Depending on your stone builds, community, and preference you can focus on Crit (Ardent), Patk (Forceful), Atk/Cast Spd (Eager), and Mov Spd (Rapid). I strongly suggest investing in a separate movement speed set for TA/Siege running/General fun using Rapid gear with Haste stones it really is surprising how fast you can get a SH to go!

Soul Stones
Depending on how you want to build your SH (I'll cover possible builds later) you have a wide range of stones to chose from. Dex (Finess) stones are a MUST its what makes the monsters bleed and it transfers to Patk at a 13:8 ratio, not quite as effective as Str is to melee but we do what we can =D. Vit (Life) stones are for those wishing to not be so squishy with each point adding 2 Pdef and 30 HP. Patk (Vigor) stones are quite self-explanitory, I make use of them along with Finesse stones to make the most of my DD capabilities. Crit (Luck) stones can be used if you wish to bust out mad crits but i wouldn't suggest them without stacking Ardent and Ancient gear or using the pre-R6 versions as they really don't add much by themselves (0.9% @ R6). With Atk/Cast Spd (Whirl) stones I'll give the same advice as with Luck stones: you need to invest fully in Atk Spd with Eager gear and ancient boots to make them worth while and again before R6 its a no go. If you chose to build a movement speed set (which I did and love it!) they should have matching stones (Haste).

Soul Stone and Equipment Builds
Using the information above you can see many different build options available and they all have their strengths and weaknesses it all comes down to a matter of preference.

Dex/Vit: This build utilizes the ever mandatory Dex stones and adds some survivability with Vit stones. This was the preferred build before the ethereal stones and its still a viable option, good for soloing without any healing support (buff slaves, extreme Blue Pixie action) and if you seem to take a lot of hits to the dome. When i ran this build I used Dex rings and if you are fervent about the ethereal gear I would say use Forceful.

Dex/Patk: Balls to the wall attack! The glass cannon build which I prefer for maximum monster swiss cheese action. I definitely would not suggest this for lower levels or soloing without a buff slave but in a party you are a great DD this way. Dex rings and Forceful gear to complement the stones.

Dex/Crit%: Really only good if you stack the crit% using Luck stones, Ancient gear, Ardent ethereal gear, Luck rings and crit% earrings. You can get it pretty high but the "Three Crit Rule" kinda limits it to an extent with diminishing returns. It does good damage since a crit=180% dmg but if you want to crit a lot I would use Ardent and Ancient gear with dex/patk stones. You could even throw in some Crit Power gear(Savage)/stones(Strike) to make the most of your crits.

Dex/Atk Spd: Maximizing on the crossbow's naturally high attack speed you can create a solid line of arrows between you and your enemy easily. Whirl stones, Eager gear, Ancient gloves, belt Harpy, Harpy unity, Skeleton potion, Cry of arrows, Hunter Impact, HV buff, Wind Weapon, Support of Gust, and Quick potion(i think i got it all). Totaling approximately 280 attack speed that's some serious speed! Your skills will lack some punch but with that many numbers flying on the screen it won't matter and at that speed I believe the animation on Hunter Impact would just slow you down.

Mov Spd/Vit: A completely separate gear set since doing anything other than running in it would be pointless. I chose Vit stones for the added HP to absorb the stray hits though Wis/Mdef stones could work for siege since its quite mage heavy in there and no one else is gonna touch you as you blur by them like The Flash. Haste stones, Ancient boots, Rapid gear to max out your speed.

Pets
Rappelz has, in my opinion, the best pet system out there even with all its flaws. Really you can use any pet you want, I'm just here to steer you in the right direction to maximize your potential.

Harpy: Hands down the best pet for a Shadow Hunter, get two and bask in its glory! Belt one for its 12% addition to both your Dex and Attack Speed and keep one out for its added damage and Unity.

Blue Pixie: Good to have around for farming without a buff slave/heal bot and sieges. Throw a 2h axe on it and it can contribute what little it can to your damage.

Red Pixie: The poor Shadow Hunter's Harpy. Sure, it does good damage but its unity is no good to you and you have to put up the cash for Luna chips (ewwww).

Skeleton: Utterly useless to you in the damage department, but its unity is good and belt one (level 90+) until you get a belt Harpy. I had one until 119 when they released the Harpy.

Siren: Ranged Patk based damage means no Lunas (yay!) and it come packed with some nice disabling skills which we lack. Not a bad choice for a utility pet too bad the unity does you no good. It also packs a good low level belt stat (level 40 +5% Dex and Wis).

Poultry: A good belt pet for low levels (+5% Dex) until you can get a Harpy or level 90 Skeleton and its super cheap.

Skills
Strider

Skills of Note:

Thrust Arrow: Knocks the target back, if they cant get close they cant hit you. I only use level one for mp management; its not a good damage source and the knockback doesn't scale with the level.

Quick Pace: Great self buff an extra 15 movement speed, the first step to becoming the fastest class in the game.

Piercing Arrow: Does some great damage at max level and is a MUST for dungeon bosses halting their HP regen. You will be spamming this on every boss you fight and get yelled at if you don't keep it up =P.

Sleeping Dust: Used in PVP as it has the range of your equipped weapon (crossbow) and allows you to start off a duel on your terms. Just level-one the necessary skills to get this one and max it.

Head Breaker: Part 2 of the PVP combo, keep a dagger/melee weapon around since it doesn't work w/ the xbow =(.

Critical Shot: Another knockback skill, keep it at level 1... the description is misleading, it does three hits at "critical damage" its not a real crit it actually does less than a normal hit.

Hunter Impact: A 40% chance of shooting two arrows at one, max it, love it, cast it every time its up (unless you use an attack speed build as the animation will actually slow you down).

Drain Arrow: All our skills cost a a lot of MP, pop this with Cry of Arrows and BAM full MP again, gotta love it.

Shadow Hunter

Skills of Note:

Poison Shot: My absolute favorite skill. Does 2.1x Patk dmg, has a 3 second cooldown, and adds a poison DoT. SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM! Its our Fire Arrow/Energy Beat and with a good card (+4 here, cant get +5 for the life of me) its pretty cheap. I find level 1 to be fine farming and use lvl 5 in parties.

Agile Style: The toggle that makes us faster than anyone else. An extra 10% movement speed and evasion, decreases Patk by 5.5% and the only speed buff that works when on a mount! Use it for travel and pulling.

Burning Style: 10% more patk, 25% more crit and -5.5% Evasion and Pdef. Our full on DD toggle, use it for solo or if you have a VERY good tank. The crit is misleading it gives you 25% more crit it doesn't add a straight 25 to your crit%. Say you have a base 20% crit, with Burning Style you will have25% crit, not 45%.

Dusk Style: +5% Attack Speed, +13% Cast Speed, +10% Acc, -0.5% max HP and a whopping -150% Threat. The preferred party toggle, with this a chip can pull more hate than you (lol) just watch out for your pet attacking with you, it will grab aggro and not you.

Stun Shaft: Our lowly stun. Its about a 50% chance to stun (a little better than Stun Mace lol) but on the plus side its an instant arrow and does good damage so its decent for that extra little bit to kill your target.

Sudden Rush: +50% Movement Speed for 15 seconds. Its our "get outta dodge" skill. Pop it and you're outta there!

Bolt of Destruction and Rapid Fire: I group them because they are so similar. They both do about the same damage and hit three times. Bolt hits one target and costs 402MP and Rapid hits three times to everything in AoE range of the target and costs 550MP. Our big hitters.

Defect Aiming: Suffers from the same affliction as Burning Style. 2% of 10% crit is nothing =(.

Provoke Shot: Decreases the targets Pdef and increases their Patk. This is great against mages since the added Patk won't make a difference.

Cry of Arrows: A great skill that adds a straight 36 Attack Speed for 15 seconds but leaves you stationary. This thing makes you into a freaking gatling gun and when coupled with Drain Arrow you can say bye bye to MP problems.

Spiral Arrow: The last knockback and its a straight line AoE so try to target the last mob in a train. The most expensive of the three knockbacks and it also pushes them back the least. Keep it level 1 like the others.

Thunderbolt Arrow: A self buff that adds +255 damage and a 5% chance to stun on basic attacks. With a 5 minute duration and 3 minute cooldown there's no reason not to keep it on at all times.

Vengeance Shot, Cascade of Darkness, and Hail of the Underworld: Our AoE skills and they are quite pricey but have their uses. Vengeance shot and Cascade are target AoEs and Hail hits around you and doesn't require a target. The most useful one is Hail for its PVP applications: it can uncloak a sin easily since it doesn't need a target and they need to get close to stun you. Plus you do a sweet backflip!

Skills to Focus on Getting Cards For: POISON SHOT its our spam skill and the cards add damage and subtract mp cost. Hunter Impact to increase its overall efficiency; with a +5 card you can keep it on permanently with a 45% chance of activation. Drain Arrow and Cry of Arrows so you can use them more often and a bit cheaper. Bolt of Destruction and Rapid Fire for more damage for less. Piercing Arrow since you sill be spamming it on bosses you might as well get the most out of it. Quick Pace and Sudden Rush for more speed baby! Shadow Hunter cards are the cheapest cards you can find and very often people just give them away to me since they are trash to them =D. I say "Collect them all!"

Credit to Rappelz Wikia for skill trees and skill information and to the Official Rappelz Community Center for second job class breakdown.
Last edited by cadopewpew on April 20th, 2010, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
cadopewpew
Pantera

Re: [Guide] Shadow Hunter

Postby cadopewpew » April 20th, 2010, 9:30 am

Reserved Post
cadopewpew
Pantera

Postby rangedatkftw » April 20th, 2010, 10:01 am

Given that the level 40 belt stat for a skeleton is agility, I'd mention that if you belt a skeleton, it should be level 90 for the attack speed boost.

If your belt pet only has the level 40 stat, then it should be either a siren or poultry for the dexterity boost. Another alternative belt pet is yeti, though I tend to suggest that only for r2 and early r3 characters.
E6 Archer Guide
itoki wrote:Because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But if you insist....
rangedatkftw
White Dragon

Postby cadopewpew » April 20th, 2010, 10:05 am

ah good point, thank you. I'll add that.
cadopewpew
Pantera

Postby dontsayit » April 21st, 2010, 10:45 am

nice guide
i like it didnt read it all yet but will tommorow
dontsayit
Octopus

Postby saintfin » April 21st, 2010, 11:09 am

I must say that I completely disagree with using Agile Style for pulling. Just use a wind pot for speed and use Dusk for pulling. If there is one thing I don't want to have to worry about is if someone is going to have trouble getting a mob off me or not. Even if there isn't an immediate proble, it's being considerate to your tank/chipper by using it too. That way they aren't having to chase a mob while you are running.

I consider Agil Style more for scouting and traveling.
saintfin
Yeti

Postby kagezx » April 28th, 2010, 6:08 am

You may want to add the Nightmare into the pets section as a belt pet, it's lvl 40 belt stat adds 12% dex, which is the same dex bonus as on the harpy.
kagezx
Octopus

Postby mywa » June 2nd, 2010, 3:00 am

soo i finally found a shadow hunter guide to comment on :D

lets see..

Soul Stone and Equipment Builds:
you mentioned alot of different builds but i would really use vit stones in every build. just switch dex stones for crit ones/atk spd ones/patk ones if you have to. i think its easy to understand why you want alot of max hp :]
the builds without vit are useless for pvp and/or tanking. yes shadow hunters can tank.

Pets:
I find it disturbing that you forget to mention the best belt for a Shadow Hunter, which is a kenta obviously. Shadow hunters arent made for atk spd. they are made for patk and skillspamming. as you can imagine i wont agree with your "get 2 and bask in its glory" approach. for myself i find harpys quite useless for shadow hunters. i mean really in what situations are they any better than blue pixies? the only situation i can think of are DPs. but even there a BP is very useful if the tank/healer sucks or in case the shadow hunter gets to play tank with burning style.
i would rather use a belt orc than a belt skelly since i believe what shadow hunters want is patk and not atkspd.

Skills:
Burning Style: you forgot to mention that it also increases threat lvl by a lot.
Dusk Style: if you say -150% threat, does that mean if i atk i actually produce negative threat? i think it would be easier to say you dont produce any threat whatsoever.
Agile Style: totally agree with the "this is not good for pulling" comment.

Personally i use all my skills on max lvl since every little dmg you can get will eventually help you. Since i reached 14x i can have Poison Arrow,Provoke Shot,Blinding Shot,Stun Shaft,Bolt of Destruction,Rapid Fire,Hail of the Underworld on cooldown at all times and i only have to use mp food and drain arrow whenever they're rdy.

i must say you left out a pvp section in your guide :[

still nice to discuss these things cado :D

iAmGhost 14x Shadow Hunter, Fenrir Server 8)
Image Fenrir Server
ImageShadow Hunter FTW
mywa
Death Tyrant

Postby dapokey12 » June 19th, 2010, 11:15 am

Kind of a stupid question here
Do we fill our skills exactly how the pictures is? Or do we just focus on the crossbow skills?
dapokey12
Poultry

Postby mynameisedd » June 26th, 2010, 4:45 am

while a strider focus on xBow skills, just make sure u get Head Breaker.
mynameisedd
Poultry

Postby sshadess » June 29th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Skills:
Burning Style: you forgot to mention that it also increases threat lvl by a lot.
Dusk Style: if you say -150% threat, does that mean if i atk i actually produce negative threat? i think it would be easier to say you dont produce any threat whatsoever.
Agile Style: totally agree with the "this is not good for pulling" comment.

Just wanted to note that the threat component of Burning Style actually is not implemented currently. I tested it thoroughly when I put up the stats for it. Admittedly, that's been quite some time ago now, but it's the sort of change where you would have had tons of people notice the difference if it had been updated in a patch. Obviously you produce significantly more threat with the style than without it, but that is due to the increase in PAtk and Crit Rat rather than any direct effect on threat production.

Kind of a stupid question here
Do we fill our skills exactly how the pictures is? Or do we just focus on the crossbow skills?

The pictures simply show the max level of that job (Strider/SH), so it's not saying which skills to get first. However, all of your skills will eventually be maxed.
sshadess
Unicorn

Postby thelaststand » July 18th, 2010, 11:09 pm

is there am effective way such that you have just enough atk spd to effectively use the hunter impact while you get a decent crit damage output?
thelaststand
Poultry

Postby insanejulians » February 13th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Nice guide but where's the part about agi/dex build? A lot of SHs use that build too.
insanejulians
Pantera

Postby rangedatkftw » February 14th, 2011, 10:16 am

insanejulians wrote:Nice guide but where's the part about agi/dex build? A lot of SHs use that build too.

This guide pre-dates the return of agility as a viable build option.
E6 Archer Guide
itoki wrote:Because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But if you insist....
rangedatkftw
White Dragon

Postby isarelias » February 28th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I know the guide itself is old and relatively outdated but here's a few things i've seen on a lowbie SH.

Another pet to add to the lineup of potentials is octo. The vampiric buff allows you to farm infinitely seeing as that's the only thing the class lacks. it's unity is also better than the BP's seeing as we don't need mana regen but attack damage.

The triple hit with knock-back on the third can be interrupted so the knockback doesn't happen. What's intersting about this is that it has more damage, or maybe same damage, as bolt of destruction but costs sooo much less.
isarelias
Tortus

Next

Return to Player Guides